To educate, entertain, and enthuse those who venture beyond the shore. Over 15,303 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, ice swims, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors. Sponsored by WOWSA.org.
Sunday, June 26, 2016
Why Jordan Wilimovsky Will Win 10K In Rio Olympic Games
It is nearly impossible to accurately predict the medalists in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games...but some athletes are ideally prepared to swim the race of their lives and capture gold.
One of those athletes is reigning world 10 km champion who blew away his competition in Kazan, American Jordan Wilimovsky.
There are a number of reasons why Wilimovsky will stand on top of the Olympic podium on Copacabana Beach at the end of the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim:
1. His track record of success on the international stage. Not only did he dominate the competition at the last world championships, but he has long been a contender in every international competition he has ever participated in, including the FINA World Junior Open Water Swimming Championships.
2. His composure and inner drive. Despite the pressure of the Olympic Games, he has a mellow personality that experience with the logistics and expectations of the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim.
3. He can adapt to all racing situations. Wilimovsky is never out of contention in any race. He has won races by surging with others or initiating surges himself from the front, from the middle of the lead pack. 4. He can come out on top in any all-out drop-dead sprint against his top competitors - from 50 meters out or 500 meters out.
4. He has succeeded in medaling in lakes and seas, and in rough and calm conditions.
5. The water temperature, either cold or warm, will not bother him. He is comfortable in all weather, wind and water conditions.
6. He is comfortable in the surf and waves as a long-time surfer. He understands the dynamics of the ocean which will be extremely important if Copacabana Beach is wavy and turbulent.
7. The 22-year-old believes he can medal and win.
8. The power, resources and logistical operations of USA Swimming is behind him, many of his daily cares are taken care of by staff members.
9. His coach, Dave Kelsheimer, is a strategic thinker and will put together an excellent Plan A and alternative Plan B and Plan C in his signature event.
Copyright © 2016 by World Open Water Swimming Association
A Thank You Gift from WOWSA
|WOWSA is celebrating the|
1-Year Anniversary of the monthly Open Water Swimming Magazine
by giving you a free copy of the anniversary issue.
Open Water Swimming Magazine Anniversary Issue
File Size: 13MB
Download the file to your computer, and then right-click to extract the magazine which is inside the zip folder. The magazine is in PDF format.
CLICK HERE to download your free copy now.
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.