To educate, entertain, and enthuse those who venture beyond the shore. Over 16,618 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, ice swims, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors. Sponsored by WOWSA.org.
2016 WOWSA AWARD WINNERS
2016 WOWSA Man of the Year – Nejib Belhedi
2016 WOWSA Woman of the Year – Jaimie Monahan
2016 WOWSA Performance of the Year – Sarah Thomas’ Lake Powell Swim
2016 WOWSA Offering of the Year – Samsung Bosphorus Cross Continental Swim
Sunday, January 3, 2016
It's A Wonderful Water World
Pedro Ordenes of Water World Swim continues to offer a number of open water swimming competitions in San Francisco Bay: 23 different events in one of the epicenters of the global open water swimming world.
His 2016 calendar of events include the following:
1. Winter Alcatraz on January 2nd: "Bring in the new year with cold water and a heart-pumping race to the St. Francis finish line." Register here.
2. Alcatraz to Aquatic Park on February 27th: "Jump into the first non-competitive monthly Alcatraz of the year." Register here.
3. Alcatraz to Aquatic Park on March 26th: "Join the first official Alcatraz of spring time with us." Register here.
4. Alcatraz to Aquatic Park on April 2nd: It's no April fool's - the water is getting warmer now. Register here.
5. Triathlon Clinic on April 23rd: Practice swimming at Alcatraz, bike and run transitions, and more in a half day with the pros. Register here.
6. Triathlon Clinic on May 7th: Practice swimming at Alcatraz, bike and run transitions, and more in a half day with the pros. Register here.
7. Alcatraz Test Swim for Triathletes on May 14th: "Ideal for Escape triathletes, all swimmers benefit from a clinic out in the waters near Alcatraz." Register here.
8. Triathlon Clinic on May 21st: Practice swimming at Alcatraz, bike and run transitions, and more in a half day with the pros. Register here.
9. Alcatraz Classic on May 28th: Fast swimmer? This is the Alcatraz race for you, whether you've done it before or not. This is a speedy race to St. Francis, with medals and glory. Register here.
10. Triathlon Clinic on June 4th: Practice swimming at Alcatraz, bike and run transitions, and more in a half day with the pros. Register here.
11. St. Francis Clinic for Escape Tri on June 9th: Ideal for Escape triathletes, this helps swimmers and triathletes practice the last part of the Escape swim leg. Register here.
12. Alcatraz/St. Francis Bay Clinic for Escape Tri on June 10th: Ideal for Escape triathletes, this clinic helps all swimmers try the waters near Alcatraz and the finish line. Register here.
13. St. Francis Test Swim for Escape Tri on June 11th: This is a full distance crossing from Alcatraz to St. Francis, but swimmers are welcome to hop in/hop out for instruction. Register here.
14. Bridge to Bridge 10K on July 2nd: Endurance swimmers: this 10K race is for you. Travel from the Golden Gate to the Bay Bridge in a race so popular, it fills up months in advance. Register here.
15. Alcatraz to St. Francis on July 9th: A wonderful summer crossing to St. Francis. Register here.
16. Swim Around the Rock on August 14th: This 3.25 mile out, around, and back race is one of the toughest out there - with currents changing by the minute, you'll loop around the island to win. Register here.
17. Alcatraz to Aquatic Park on August 28th: Prime warm water for a monthly Alcatraz. Register here.
18. Swim with the Centurions on September 10th: Our biggest event of the year. Join 350 swimmers in the race from Alcatraz to Aquatic Park in the warmest bay water of the year. Register here.
19. Island to Island on September 17th: A scenic and exciting swim north from Alcatraz to Angel Island - the most possible of inmate escape routes. Register here.
20. Golden Gate Bridge on September 24th: With a one of a kind view under the bridge, you won't want to miss out on this spectacular race from the south tower to Fingerpoint Rock. Register here [see video below].
21. Alcatraz to St. Francis on October 8th: A fast and easy autumn crossing. Register here.
22. Touch Alcatraz n' Go! on October 9th: This race is un-retired and back in action. Play the bay's elite tag game in this challenging out-and-back from Aquatic Park to the prison. Come back to win. Register here.
23. Alcatraz to Aquatic Park on November 5th: The last crossing of the year. Register here.
Upper photo shows Danika Thompson after winning the 2015 Alcatraz Classic for the Fastest. Second photo from top shows Yasmin Radjy with her father Nader Radjy before they both swam the 2015 Alcatraz Classic for the Fastest. Third photo shows David Swift after competing in the Alcatraz Classic for the Fastest. Fourth photos shows Pedro Ordenes, founder of Water World Swim.
Copyright © 2015 by World Open Water Swimming Association
A Thank You Gift from WOWSA
|WOWSA is celebrating the|
1-Year Anniversary of the monthly Open Water Swimming Magazine
by giving you a free copy of the anniversary issue.
Open Water Swimming Magazine Anniversary Issue
File Size: 13MB
Download the file to your computer, and then right-click to extract the magazine which is inside the zip folder. The magazine is in PDF format.
CLICK HERE to download your free copy now.
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.