To educate, entertain, and enthuse those who venture beyond the shore. Over 15,303 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, ice swims, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors. Sponsored by WOWSA.org.
Monday, November 9, 2015
The 2032 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
Imagine 17 years from now. 5 Olympic quadrennials in the future.
How will the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim be conducted? We can only imagine the possibilities...
* each athlete will be outfitted with a transponder that transmits in real time the athlete's heart rate and other biometrics from the number of breaths per minute to the strokes per minute
* each athlete will be colorfully outfitted in swimwear that proudly shows off their nation's colors: Australians in green and yellow, Americans and French in red, white and blue, and Japanese in red and white
* each athlete will confidentially provide their pre-race strategy that will be transmitted in real time during the race to the spectators and fans
* the world's media and spectators will watch replays and slow-motion images of the race on their wearable mobile devices and at their homes
* athletes must take their hydration in their swimwear, using special pouches and micro-containers filled with scientifically formulated feeds * officiating will be conducted objectively and immediately via cameras both above and below the water's surface
* each athlete will wear a swim cap that can transform their thoughts to written form that is transmitted to the viewing public and media
* underwater drones will cover the race as comprehensively as airborne drones do with added perspectives from cameras positioned on the officials' boats and on dryland; viewers will be able to watch the race in quadruple split screens with (1) underwater views, (2) aerial views, (3) escort boat perspectives, and (4) dryland perspectives
* turn buoys will have digital displays that post the split times and speed in kilometers per hour of each athlete
* GPS data will be able to compare the exact distance swum by each athlete down to the cm
* broadcast images will be able to show and compare the speeds of the athletes in real time relative to athletes of the 2008, 2012, 2016, 2020, 2024, and 2028 Olympic Games
Copyright © 2015 by World Open Water Swimming Association
A Thank You Gift from WOWSA
|WOWSA is celebrating the|
1-Year Anniversary of the monthly Open Water Swimming Magazine
by giving you a free copy of the anniversary issue.
Open Water Swimming Magazine Anniversary Issue
File Size: 13MB
Download the file to your computer, and then right-click to extract the magazine which is inside the zip folder. The magazine is in PDF format.
CLICK HERE to download your free copy now.
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.