To educate, entertain, and enthuse those who venture beyond the shore. Over 15,230 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, ice swims, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors. Sponsored by WOWSA.org.
Monday, August 11, 2014
Crème de la Crème Of The Open Water World
32 individuals have been selected as Honorees in the Open Water Swimming category in the International Swimming Hall of Fame. These individuals are the crème de la Crème of the open water swimming world.
The International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Honorary Secretary provides advice to the International Swimming Hall of Fame. The ISHOF Nominating Committee then selects individuals who will appear on the annual International Swimming Hall of Fame induction ballot.
After the members of the Selection Committee vote and the votes are tallied, the International Swimming Hall of Fame publishes its annual International Swimming Hall of Fame ballot. The voters are then given the opportunity vote on one candidate from the five open water finalists.
1. Captain Matthew Webb (Great Britain) 1965, Honor Swimmer
2. Gertrude Ederle (USA) 1965, Honor Swimmer
3. Greta Andersen (Denmark) 1969, Honor Swimmer
4. Cavill Family (Australia) 1970, Honor Contributors
5. Florence Chadwick (USA) 1970, Honor Swimmer
6. Lynne Cox (USA) 2000, Honor Open Water Swimmer
7. Annette Kellerman (Australia) 1974, Honor Contributor
8. William “Buck” Dawson (USA) 1986, Honor Contributor
9. John Kinsella (USA) 1986, Honor Swimmer
10. Penny Lee Dean (USA) 1996, Honor Open Water Swimmer
11. Abdul Latif Abou-Heif (Egypt) 1998, Honor Open Water Swimmer
12. Gerald Forsberg (Great Britain) 1998, Honor Pioneer Open Water Contributor
13. Horacio Iglesias (Argentina) 2003, Honor Open Water Swimmer
14. Cindy Nicholas (Canada) 2005, Honor Open Water Swimmer
15. Alison Streeter MBE (Great Britain) 2006, Honor Open Water Swimmer
16. Shelley Taylor-Smith (Australia) 2008, Honor Open Water Swimmer
17. Herman Willemse (Netherlands) 2008, Honor Open Water Swimmer
18. Kevin Murphy (Great Britain) 2009, Honor Open Water Swimmer
19. Paul Asmuth (USA) 2010, Honor Open Water Swimmer
20. Michael Read MBE (Great Britain) 2011, Honor Open Water Swimmer
21. Chad Hundeby (USA) 2012, Honor Open Water Swimmer
22. Cliff Lumsdon (Canada) 2013, Honor Open Water Swimmer
23. Paul Boynton (USA) 2013, Honor Pioneer Contributor
24. Mercedes Gleitze (Great Britain) 2013, Honor Pioneer Open Water Swimmer
25. Gus Sundstrom (USA) 2013, Honor Pioneer Coach and Contributor
26. Sandra Bucha (USA) 2014, Honor Open Water Swimmer
27. Judith van Berkel-de Nijs (Netherlands) 2014, Honor Open Water Swimmer
28. Jon Erikson (USA) 2014, Honor Open Water Swimmer
29. David Yudovin (USA) 2014, Honor Open Water Swimmer
30. George Young (Canada), 2014, Honor Open Water Swimmer
31. Dale Petranech (USA), 2014, Honor Contributor
32. Claudio Plit (Argentina) 2014, Honor Open Water Swimmer
Photo shows British open water swimmer Kevin Murphy.
Copyright © 2014 by World Open Water Swimming Association
A Thank You Gift from WOWSA
|WOWSA is celebrating the|
1-Year Anniversary of the monthly Open Water Swimming Magazine
by giving you a free copy of the anniversary issue.
Open Water Swimming Magazine Anniversary Issue
File Size: 13MB
Download the file to your computer, and then right-click to extract the magazine which is inside the zip folder. The magazine is in PDF format.
CLICK HERE to download your free copy now.
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.