To educate, entertain, and enthuse those who venture beyond the shore. Over 16,618 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, ice swims, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors. Sponsored by WOWSA.org.
2016 WOWSA AWARD WINNERS
2016 WOWSA Man of the Year – Nejib Belhedi
2016 WOWSA Woman of the Year – Jaimie Monahan
2016 WOWSA Performance of the Year – Sarah Thomas’ Lake Powell Swim
2016 WOWSA Offering of the Year – Samsung Bosphorus Cross Continental Swim
Saturday, March 15, 2014
Are You Ready For The Open Water?
The same can be said for open water swimming especially if one's preparation is optimized.
But competitive swimmers, solo swimmers, newbies, and ice swimmers can face different issues. While athletes like Petar Stoychev, Greta Andersen, Paul Asmuth, and Shelley Taylor-Smith competed in pro and invitational races as well as did solo channel swims, many people prefer to focus on a particular open water swimming niche.
The various issues and questions faced by swimmers of various types include the following:
1. Are you ready for the physicality of pack swimming?
2. Are you ready to swim around turn buoys within a large pack?
3. Are you ready for a fast start?
4. Are you ready for surges and sprints at different points in a race?
5. Are you ready for a missed feeding?
6. Are you ready to swim despite receiving a yellow card?
7. Are you ready to swim between two swimmers who will not move from their positions?
8. Are you ready to take a different course than the lead pack?
9. Are you ready to lead?
10. Are you ready to breathe diesel fumes from boats?
1. Are you ready to swim in the cold?
2. Are you ready to swim in the heat?
3. Are you ready to be stung by jellyfish?
4. Are you ready to see a shark?
5. Are you ready to become seasick?
6. Are you ready to swim on either side of your escort boat?
7. Are you ready to swim at night?
8. Are you ready to swim with a nagging sore muscles?
9. Are you ready to swim with lanolin?
10. Are you ready to swim hours longer than your expectations?
1. Are you ready to face waves?
2. Are you ready to face surface chop?
3. Are you ready to swim in deep water without seeing or touching the bottom?
4. Are you ready to face marine life?
5. Are you ready to swim in murky waters?
6. Are you ready to swim in the fog?
7. Are you ready to swim against currents or the tides?
8. Are you ready to swim without a wetsuit?
9. Are you ready to help save a fellow swimmer?
10. Are you ready for your goggles to fog up?
1. Are you ready to properly acclimate?
2. Are you ready for the after drop?
3. Are you ready for hypothermia?
4. Are you ready for the initial shock?
5. Are you ready from a safety perspective?
6. Are you ready to swim with blurred or narrow vision?
7. Are you ready for the pain?
8. Are you ready to swim with the Claw?
9. Are you ready to get scared on occasion?
10. Are you ready for memory loss and lack of motor control?
When the answer to all of these questions is yes, you are ready for the open water.
Photo shows Jamie Patrick ready.
Copyright © 2014 by World Open Water Swimming Association
A Thank You Gift from WOWSA
|WOWSA is celebrating the|
1-Year Anniversary of the monthly Open Water Swimming Magazine
by giving you a free copy of the anniversary issue.
Open Water Swimming Magazine Anniversary Issue
File Size: 13MB
Download the file to your computer, and then right-click to extract the magazine which is inside the zip folder. The magazine is in PDF format.
CLICK HERE to download your free copy now.
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.