To educate, entertain, and enthuse those who venture beyond the shore. Over 15,303 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, ice swims, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors. Sponsored by WOWSA.org.
Sunday, February 2, 2014
Irish Long Distance Swimming Association Award Honourees
"Newbies and veterans from Ulster, Munster, Leinster, Connaught and overseas alike were able to enjoy the ceremonies along with Alison Streeter MBE and Kevin Murphy and English Channels and Peter Legge," reported Jacqueline Galway. "Their attendance along with event sponsors and distinguished guests and the wit of North Channel pilot Brian Meharg of Bangor Boat as the Master of Ceremonies showed the prominence of open water swimming and the opportunities for 2014 and beyond."
* ILDSA 2013 Runner-up Juvenile Best Newcomer to Open Water Swimming (sponsored by Canal Court Hotel and Spa): Eoin Edwards
* ILDSA 2013 Juvenile Best Newcomer to Open Water Swimming (sponsored by AB Trophies): Cian McConvey
* ILDSA 2013 Juvenile Swimmer of the Year (sponsored by Camlough Lake Events Committee): Lisa Comerford
* ILDSA 2013 Senior Best Newcomer to Open Water Swimming (sponsored by SWIM TIME): Lukasz Kowalczyk
* ILDSA 2013 Ted Keenan Ulster Open Water Swimmer of the Year (sponsored by Newry and Mourne District Council): Alison Caldwell
* ILDSA 2013 Paraic Casey Munster Open Water Swimmer of the Year (sponsored by Swim and Leisure): Owen O'Keefe
* ILDSA 2013 Leinster Open Water Swimmer of the Year (sponsored by Dublin Mini Coaches): Fergal Somerville
* ILDSA 2013 Connaught Open Water Swimmer of the Year (sponsored by Dublin Hidden walks): Lynsey Dunne
* ILDSA 2013 Open Water Swim Performance of the Year (sponsored by ILDSA President Billy Wallace): Nuala Moore and Anne Marie Ward
* ILDSA 2013 Spirit of Open Water Swimming Award (sponsored by M&M Gas and Refrigeration Services): Ger Kennedy
* ILDSA 2013 Margaret Smith Award (sponsored by Extreme Ireland): Camlough Lake Water Festival Committee
* ILDSA 2013 Best Organised Open Water Swim (sponsored by Leather Doctor NI): Great Wicklow 10K Swim
* ILDSA 2013 Female Senior Swimmer of the Year (sponsored by Nelsons Boats): Nuala Moore
* ILDSA 2013 Male Senior Swimmer of the Year (sponsored by Bangor Boat): Pádraig Mallon
Additionally, Kevin Murphy was presented with the King of the North Channel honour and Alison Streeter MBE was similarly presented with the Queen of the North Channel honour for each having swam the North Channel three times.
Photo shows Milo McCourt, Peter Legge, Billy Wallace, Alison Streeter MBE, Kevin Murphy, Anne Marie Ward, Lukaz Kowalczyk, Alison Cardwell, Cian McConvey, Ger Kennedy and Pádraig Mallon.
Copyright © 2014 by World Open Water Swimming Association
A Thank You Gift from WOWSA
|WOWSA is celebrating the|
1-Year Anniversary of the monthly Open Water Swimming Magazine
by giving you a free copy of the anniversary issue.
Open Water Swimming Magazine Anniversary Issue
File Size: 13MB
Download the file to your computer, and then right-click to extract the magazine which is inside the zip folder. The magazine is in PDF format.
CLICK HERE to download your free copy now.
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.