To educate, entertain, and enthuse those who venture beyond the shore. Over 16,618 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, ice swims, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors. Sponsored by WOWSA.org.
2016 WOWSA AWARD WINNERS
2016 WOWSA Man of the Year – Nejib Belhedi
2016 WOWSA Woman of the Year – Jaimie Monahan
2016 WOWSA Performance of the Year – Sarah Thomas’ Lake Powell Swim
2016 WOWSA Offering of the Year – Samsung Bosphorus Cross Continental Swim
Friday, December 27, 2013
Open Water Swimming Trivia Quiz
From disabled to able, young to older, newbies to professionals, the global community reflected all kinds of tastes and goals. Some liked it cold (ice swimmers) and others preferred it warm. Some liked going fast (professional marathon swimmers) and others preferred to take it at their own pace.
Below are 25 trivia questions from the 2013 open water swimming world. Answers will be provided tomorrow. Test your knowledge of the eclectic and esoteric in the open water world:
1. What is the Medusae Collection?
2. When did the Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli in Italy begin? Who holds the record in this professional marathon race?
3. What does the Rottnest Channel Swim Honour Board signify and recognize?
4. What streak did Ashley Twichell break at the Midmar Mile in 2013?
5. What swimmers were showcased in the documentary film DRIVEN?
6. Who was the first person to complete a three-way crossing of the English Channel?
7. What record did Mally Richards set in 2013?
8. What swimmer used yaks as part of their support team…and where?
9. When is Be Kind To Your Yacker Week?
10. What do these individuals have in common: Captain Matthew Webb, George Young, Keo Nakama, Mercedes Gleitze, Barry Devonport, Tom Blower, and David Yudovin?
11. What is the total distance (in miles or kilometers) of the S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge?
12. What important race will be held in Kazan, Russia in 2015?
13. What Las Vegas show star is also a champion open water swimmer?
14. What major marathon swim has not been accomplished since 1967?
15. Who is the King of Robben Island?
16. What open water race in 2013 had Olympic medalists finish 1-2-3?
17. What coach had two different swimmers from two different countries win medals at the 2013 FINA World Championships open water races in Barcelona?
18. What masters swimmer and former water polo player won the most prestigious professional marathon swim in 2013?
19. What is the maximum number of swimmers that the Sun-Moon Lake International Swimming Carnival will accept?
20. What sport did Kim Chambers do before she got into channel swimming?
21. What open water swimming event uses seeding events, hot spots and quadcopters?
22. Where will the 2020 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim be held?
23. Where are the Polar Olympics held?
24. How many medals did Thomas Lurz win at the 2013 FINA World Championships in Barcelona?
25. Name three individuals who were inducted in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Class of 2014.
Photo shows Tomi Stefanovski with his two daughters.
Copyright © 2013 by World Open Water Swimming Association
A Thank You Gift from WOWSA
|WOWSA is celebrating the|
1-Year Anniversary of the monthly Open Water Swimming Magazine
by giving you a free copy of the anniversary issue.
Open Water Swimming Magazine Anniversary Issue
File Size: 13MB
Download the file to your computer, and then right-click to extract the magazine which is inside the zip folder. The magazine is in PDF format.
CLICK HERE to download your free copy now.
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.