To educate, entertain, and enthuse those who venture beyond the shore. Over 12,425 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics, exploits and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors. Sponsored by WOWSA.org.
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
Open Water Swimming Position Available
Position title: Local Masters Swimming Committee Open Water & Long Distance Chair/Coordinator
Term length: Ongoing
Estimated hours/days required per month: 5 - 10 hours per month (subject to geographic/seasonal conditions)
Reports to: LMSC Chair
Role overview and purpose: This position is charged with ensuring that sanctioned open water events operate under USMS and LMSC guidelines in a safe manner. The position may also be charged with promoting U.S. Masters Swimming Postal events within the LMSC.
• Encourage the development of open water swims
• Work with local open water event hosts to promote USMS' common event guidelines, such as entries, results submissions, safety, overall event management
• Oversee the LMSC open water sanction process (some LMSCs use the Open Water chair to sanction open water events)
• Create or coordinate open water clinics
• Work with event hosts to submit open water events to the USMS calendar
• Create structure around open water training venues
• Act as the liaison with the USMS Long Distance Committee and the event host when national championship events are being held in the LMSC
• Help build and recruit open water events for national championship consideration
• Enhance and maintain local policies based on USMS policies and guidelines for open water
• Assure that event results are submitted to the Open Water events database (future)
• Encourage swimmers in the LMSC to participate in the various postal swims
• Work with LMSC Safety Chair, as needed
• Develop an annual calendar of LMSC Open Water events for member reference
• When possible, conduct post-event reviews to communicate and apply lessons learned
• Write or solicit articles on local open water accomplishments - submit to USMS and LMSC website, blogs, Facebook page, newsletter
Recommended skills, experience and attributes:
• Knowledge of Open Water and Long Distance policies including those for safety and organization
• Ability to be organized and oversee a number of events at the same time
• Review LMSC Open Water policies and propose changes when necessary
• Experience in participating in OW events, hosting OW events, working with OW event organizers, attending OW safety conferences, working with or as a life safety personnel
• Recruiting well-trained volunteers to help conduct successful open water events
• Review USMS Open Water Manual and other documents
• Participation in OW safety conferences and clinics. Working as a OW event director or safety officer
Photo shows the start of the Newport Pier-2-Pier swim in Newport Beach, California.
Contact: Contact the SPMS Chairperson and Vice Chairperson for additional information here.
Copyright © 2013 by World Open Water Swimming Association
A Thank You Gift from WOWSA
|WOWSA is celebrating the|
1-Year Anniversary of the monthly Open Water Swimming Magazine
by giving you a free copy of the anniversary issue.
Open Water Swimming Magazine Anniversary Issue
File Size: 13MB
Download the file to your computer, and then right-click to extract the magazine which is inside the zip folder. The magazine is in PDF format.
CLICK HERE to download your free copy now.
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.