To educate, entertain, and enthuse those who venture beyond the shore. Over 10,900 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics, exploits and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors. Sponsored by WOWSA.org.
Thursday, November 28, 2013
2013 Season Results From Asociación De Cruce A Nado Del Estrecho De Gibraltar
"There were a total of 48 crossings and 108 total successful swimmers. 11 women and 39 men crossed without wetsuits and 7 women and 51 men crossed with wetsuits.
Only 5 swimmers (4.6%) attempted who were not successful. We had numerous records that we set this season. Congratulations to these swimmers and all the swimmers who made the Strait of Gibraltar crossing. We expect everyone had a good experience with us in Tarifa."
* Terrence Peter Bantock and Marius de la Rey (South Africa) - Fastest traditional males: 3:17 (September 9th)
* Kyle Main (South Africa) - Fastest male with neoprene: 3:08 (May 7th)
* Tara Michelle Diversi (Australia) - Fastest traditional female: 3:34 (April 26th)
* Sandra Oliveras Gálvez (Spain) - Fastest female with neoprene: 4:09 (June 6th)
* Elizabeth Fry (U.S.A.) - Oldest traditional female: 54 years (June 11th)
* Bertil Erik Lennart Larsson (Sweden) - Oldest traditional male: 65 years (October 11th)
* Enrique Ariel Cov Acevich (Argentina) - Oldest male with neoprene: 60 years (June 20th)
* Una Teresa McIntosh (Ireland) - Oldest female with neoprene: 44 years (August 25th)
* Jacob Scott Miyauchi (U.S.A.) - Youngest traditional male: 16 years (August 23rd)
* Louise Kelly (U.K.) - Youngest traditional female: 22 years (September 25th)
* Melina Montserrat Vieyra Oyola (Peru) - Youngest female with neoprene: 37 years (August 8th)
* Maciej Napoleon Ogrodnik (Poland) - Youngest male with neoprene: 15 years (May 25th)
* Bertil Erik Lennart Larsson (Sweden) - First traditional swimmer from Sweden: 5:18 (October 11th)
* Fedwa El Bekri and Sara El Bekri (Morocco) - First traditional swimmers from Morocco: 4:44 (October 14th)
* Aydin Yildizay (Turkey) - First traditional swimmer from Turkey: 4:34 (October 13th)
Photo shows Rafael Gutiérrez Mesa escorting Darren Miller across the Strait of Gibraltar together with Jamie Patrick, Jen Schumacher and Oliver Wilkinson.
Copyright © 2013 by World Open Water Swimming Association
A Thank You Gift from WOWSA
|WOWSA is celebrating the|
1-Year Anniversary of the monthly Open Water Swimming Magazine
by giving you a free copy of the anniversary issue.
Open Water Swimming Magazine Anniversary Issue
File Size: 13MB
Download the file to your computer, and then right-click to extract the magazine which is inside the zip folder. The magazine is in PDF format.
CLICK HERE to download your free copy now.
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.