To educate, entertain, and enthuse all those who venture beyond the shoreline. Over 10,300 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics, exploits and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors.
Sunday, October 6, 2013
Seeding Events For The aQuellé Midmar Mile
When 5-digit body markings are used, the event has over 10,000 participants. The aQuellé Midmar Mile is that kind of open water swimming competition, the largest of its kind in the world.
Online entries for the 2014 aQuellé Midmar Mile are open here. Athletes can prepare for the seeding swim / swim challenge events starting in October:
* 3 km Time Freight Heia Safari Swim Challenge – Series 1 at Heia Safari Ranch on October 26th
* 400m, 800m, 1.5 km Time Freight Heia Safari Swim Challenge – Series 1 at Heia Safari Ranch on October 27th
* 1 mile, 400m, 3x1000m relay Ebotse Rynfield Mile at Rynfield Dam on November 2nd
* 1.2 km, 5 km Time Freight Swim Challenge at Heia Safari Ranch on November 17th
* 5 km, 10 km Challenge Midmar Dam on November 23rd
* 1 km, 3 km, Sunday Tribune Capital K at Midmar Dam on November 24th
* 1 km, 7.5 km, 10 km Time Freight Heia Safari 1000 – leg 2 at Heia Safari Ranch on December 1st
* 1 km, 5 km aQuelle KZN Open Water Swim Champs at Albert Falls Dam on December 15th
* 3 km Ebotse Swim Challenge at Rynfield Dam on January 11th 2014
* 4x400m Relay, 1 km Ebotse Swim Challenge at Rynfield Dam on January 12th
* 1 km, 3 km, 5 km Time Freight Kovsies Swim Challenge in Bloemfontein on January 18th
* 3 km, 5 km Time Freight Lake Heritage Water Festival at Heia Safari Ranch on January 18th
* 500m, 1.2 km Time Freight Lake Heritage Water Festival at Heia Safari Ranch on January 19th
* 2 km Heia Safari at Heia Safari Ranch on February 23rd
* 3 km Heia Safari at Heia Safari Ranch on March 30th
Copyright © 2013 by Open Water Swimming
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.