To educate, entertain, and enthuse all those who venture beyond the shoreline. Over 10,300 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics, exploits and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors.
Saturday, July 27, 2013
Unprecedented Championships For Thomas Lurz
While not quite Spitzonian or Phelps-like, never in the history of aquatic sports has anyone raced in such close proximity to their competitors over such long distances and been so successful.
It was a total mastery of all aspects of elite open water swimming, from 5 km to 25 km.
Four swims and four medals.
It was unprecedented and a tribute to Lurz's tenacity towards training, passion for punishment, and capacity for competitiveness.
His week started with two podium finishes in the 5 km and 10 km and ended with two powerful gold medal performances in the team 5 km and the 25 km.
1. Thomas Lurz (GER) 4:47:27.0
2. Brian Ryckeman (BEL) 4:47:27.4
3. Evegeni Drattcev (RUS) 4:47:28.1
4. Alex Meyer (USA) 4:47:28.2
5. Allan Do Carmo (BRA) 4:47:30.1
6. Spyridon Gianniotis (GRE) 4:47:31.3
7. Simone Ruffini (ITA) 4:47:42.7
8. Guillermo Vittorio Bertola (ARG) 4:47:44.8
9. Philippe Guertin (CAN) 4:48:46.8 10. Jan Posmourny (CZE) 4:48:53.4
11. Shahar Resman (ISR) 4:48:58.3
12. Bertrand Venturi (FRA) 4:48:58.3
13. Gergely Gyurta (HUN) 4:49:03.9
14. Jordan Wilimovsky (USA) 4:49:11.1
15. Diogo Villarinho (BRA) 4:50:31.3
16. Luis Bolanos (VEN) 4:50:52.7
17. Antonios Fokaidis (GRE) 4:50:55.1
18. Phillip Ryan (NZL) 4:50:57.2
19. Rhys Mainstone-Hodson (AUS) 4:51:08.2
20. Axel Reymond (FRA) 4:53:47.2
21. Valerio Cleri (ITA) 4:55:16.5
22. Libor Smolka (CZE) 4:58:13.7
23. Vladimir Dyatchin (RUS) 4:58:18.0
24. Vitaliy Khudakov (KAZ) 4:58:18.1
25. Martin Miguel Carrizo Yunges (ARG) 5:01:43.1
26. Richard Weinberger (CAN) 5:02:32.6
27. Arseniy Lavrentyev (POR) 5:03:12.8
28. Hercules Troyden Prinsloo (RSA) 5:03:19.8
29 JINGWEI Weng Jingwei (CHN) 5:04:02.5
30. aleh Mohammad (SYR) 5:04:03.6
31. Badr Chebchoub (TUN) 5:33:07.2
32. Abdelrahman Esam (EGY) 5:33:35.7
Christian Martin Reichert (GER) DNF
Han Lidu (CHN) DNF
Igor Chervynskiy (UKR) DNF
Copyright © 2013 by Open Water Swimming
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.