To educate, entertain, and enthuse all those who venture beyond the shoreline. Over 10,300 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics, exploits and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors.
Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Matteo Furlan Is The Top Student At 2013 Universiade
"This is my best swim, I'm very happy," said Matteo Furlan of Italy to R-Sport after winning the men's 10 km at the World University Games in Kazan, Russia today. "Before the start I did not even think that I could win. Competitors? Romain Beraud from France and Germany's Andreas Waschburger, as you can see, were the second and third. Everything was fine, except that water was very hot, but it brought the problems for everybody."
Furlan just had a little extra in the gas tank as he out-sprinted Beraud by 2 seconds and Waschburger by 3.9 seconds in the 10 km this morning.
The trio of Europeans separated themselves for the rest of the top pack over the final loop in the rowing course as the top students in the final swimming competition of the Universiade.
1. Matteo Furlan (ITA) 1:56:12.4
2. Romain Beraud (FRA) 1:56:14.4
3. Andreas Waschburger (GER) 1:56:16.3
4. Charlie Cuignet (FRA) 1:56:33.8
5. Victor Colonese (BRA) 1:56:38.2
6. Daniil Serebrennikov (RUS) 1:57:01.3
7. Christopher Bryan (IRL) 1:57:02.1
8. Evgenij Pop Acev (MKD) 1:57:22.6
9. Yasunari Hirai (JPN) 1:57:33.1
10. Ryan Feeley (USA) 1:57:41.9
11. Artem Podyakov (RUS) 1:57:44.7
12. Jan Posmourny (CZE) 1:57:49.1
13. Volodymyr Voronko (UKR) 1:57:59.3
14. Joey Pedraza (USA) 1:58:14.4
15. Miguel Hernandez (MEX) 1:58:28.3
16. Samuel Sheppard (AUS) 1:58:31.6
17. Aimeson Anthony Sparks-King (CAN) 1:58:43.6
18. Francois Xavier Desharnais (CAN) 1:58:53.8
19. Kyrylo Shvets (UKR) 1:59:13.7
20. Troy Balvert (NZL) 1:59:27.1
21. Joshua Richardson (AUS) 1:59:46.9
22. Matthias Schweinzer (AUT) 2:02:21.3
23. Bence Kiraly (HUN) 2:03:10.5
24. Sanu Debnath (IND) 2:19:37.0
25. Daniel Alzate (COL) 2:23:00.0
26. Dejan Mladenovski (MKD) 2:23:01.6
Photo of Matteo Furlan by Alexandr Wilf of RIA Novosti.
Copyright © 2013 by Open Water Swimming
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.