To educate, entertain, and enthuse those who venture beyond the shore. Over 16,618 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, ice swims, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors. Sponsored by WOWSA.org.
2016 WOWSA AWARD WINNERS
2016 WOWSA Man of the Year – Nejib Belhedi
2016 WOWSA Woman of the Year – Jaimie Monahan
2016 WOWSA Performance of the Year – Sarah Thomas’ Lake Powell Swim
2016 WOWSA Offering of the Year – Samsung Bosphorus Cross Continental Swim
Sunday, April 14, 2013
Martina Grimaldi Edges Eva Fabrian To Win In Cozumel
The Mexican stop on the absolutely stunning island of Cozumel lived up to its billing. The race gave those who won a great boost going into the upcoming World Swimming Championships in Barcelona. It also gave great feedback to others who did not do so well - and gave indication to them as to what they need to work on.
"Cozumel was one of the tougher races I have done. It was very physical, exactly like a World Championships," recalled Christine Jennings who has won two FINA World Cups and finished seventh here. "It was a lovely race, but if you didn't keep your head on straight you were out of that race quickly. Currents have a way of getting to you, the way they make the exhaustion seem so much worse. I'm in really good shape, but I hurt after that race as much as I hurt after that Tuesday morning's practice. I really can't wait to rest and see my speed come back."
1. MARTINA GRIMALDI (ITA) 2:09:39.20
2. EVA FABIAN (USA) 2:09:39.40
3. RACHELE BRUNI (ITA) 2:09:39.70
4. ANA MARCELA CUNHA (BRA) 2:09:43.50
5. ANGELA MAURER (GER) 2:09:44.20
6. EMILY BRUNEMANN (USA) 2:10:02.40
7. CHRISTINE JENNINGS (USA) 2:10:03.60
8. ISABELLE HARLE (GER) 2:10:06.30
9. ALICE FRANCO (ITA) 2:10:11.40
10. ASHLEY TWICHELL (USA) 2:10:13.50
11. GIORGIA CONSIGLIO (ITA) 2:10:15.70
12. FINNIA WANRAM (GER) 2:10:38.60
13. MARGARITA DOMINGUEZ (ESP) 2:10:43.20
14. NADINE REICHERT (GER) 2:10:48.30
15. ZSOFIA BALAZS (CAN) 2:10:48.80
16. SVENJA ZIHULER (GER) 2:12:10.40
17. JESS WALKER (AUS) 2:12:14.10
18. REBECCA MANN (USA) 2:12:44.60
19. ERIKA VILLAECIJA (ESP) 2:12:46.30
20. OLGA BERESNYEVA (UKR) 2:12:46.40
21. TRISTIN BAXTER (USA) 2:12:56.90
22. HEIDI GEORGE (USA) 2:13:21.40
21. NATALY ROSALIA CALDAS CALLE (ECU) 2:13:27.70
24. NADINE WILLIAMS (CAN) 2:14:04.60
25. LENA-SOPHIE BERMEL (GER) 2:14:06.40
26. INES HAHN (GER) 2:14:08.80
27. JADE DUSABLON (CAN) 2:15:22.10
28. HEATHER MAITLAND (CAN) 2:16:59.60
29. OPHELIE ASPORD (FRA) 2:17:13.40
30. VICENA NAVARRO (VEN) 2:17:48.60
31. PAOLA PEREZ (VEN) 2:17:49.40
32. FLORENCIA MELO (VEN) 2:17:50.10
33. BEATRICE PINEAU (CAN) 2:17:52.60
34. LUCY CAMPELL (GBR) 2:17:53.40
35. SILVIE RYBAROVA (CZE) 2:18:07.90
36. LILIANA HERNANDEZ (VEN) 2:18:20.40
37. LIZETH RUEDA (MEX) 2:20:11.80
38. BONNIE MACDONALD (AUS) 2:21:12.40
39. MELISSA VILLASEÑOR REYES (MEX) 2:21:15.80
40. JUSTINE RHEAUME (CAN) 2:23:00.40
41. CARLA DIAZ (VEN) 2:23:09.20
42. LEONIE PAMERLEAU (CAN) 2:28:27.40
43. CAITLIN HUDGE (CAN) 2:32:59.90
44. BETINA LORSCHEITTER (BRA) 2:33:03.60
45. MAYELA OROPEZA (MEX) 2:33:18.40
46. CECY COHEN (MEX) 2:45:24.60
47. NELLYA ABDRAKHBRANOVA (KAZ) 2:47:43.70
48. CINTHYA ARANDA (MEX) 2:48:29.60
49. MARIYA IVANOVA (KAZ) 2:56:32.90
50. PAULINA GARCIA LASCURAIN (MEX) 3:01:00.30
ZAIRA EDITH CARDENAS (MEX) DNF
BERENICE MARTINEZ (MEX) DNF
CAITLIN NOLAN (CAN) DNF
Copyright © 2013 by World Open Water Swimming Association
A Thank You Gift from WOWSA
|WOWSA is celebrating the|
1-Year Anniversary of the monthly Open Water Swimming Magazine
by giving you a free copy of the anniversary issue.
Open Water Swimming Magazine Anniversary Issue
File Size: 13MB
Download the file to your computer, and then right-click to extract the magazine which is inside the zip folder. The magazine is in PDF format.
CLICK HERE to download your free copy now.
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.