To educate, entertain, and enthuse those who venture beyond the shore. Over 16,618 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, ice swims, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors. Sponsored by WOWSA.org.
2016 WOWSA AWARD WINNERS
2016 WOWSA Man of the Year – Nejib Belhedi
2016 WOWSA Woman of the Year – Jaimie Monahan
2016 WOWSA Performance of the Year – Sarah Thomas’ Lake Powell Swim
2016 WOWSA Offering of the Year – Samsung Bosphorus Cross Continental Swim
Monday, August 13, 2012
Olympic Marathon Swims For Swimmers Of All Abilities
There are at least 106 formally organized marathon swims around the world with several dozens more in planning stages. By 2014, there is forecasted to be at least 200 formal marathon swims over 10 km for both amateurs and pros.
Henley Swim’s Bridge to Bridge Swim is a 14.1km swim that starts off at Henley Bridge on August 19th. Everyone swims together as one group down to Hambledon Lock, where they are then split into groups according to speed. Swimmers will exit the river 4 times in total, as they navigate the locks and weirs and take in 4 feed stops.
The Swim Across America Long Beach event that offers a replica of the Olympic marathon swim course in Marine Stadium (see above) in Southern California. A charity event for the Todd Cancer Institute, a number of Olympians are scheduled to show up and participate. It is also held in conjunction with the Global Open Water Swimming Conference.
Other marathon swims on the global calendar, outside of the solo swims and relays in the English Channel, North Channel, Catalina Channel, Molokai Channel, Tsugaru Channel, Cook Strait and Strait of Gibraltar, include the following swims (listed by distance):
1. 193 km (120 miles): 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in New York (7-day stage swim)
2. 88 km (54.6 miles): Maratón Internacional Hernandarias – Paraná in Argentina
3. 81 km (50.3 miles): India National Open Long Distance Swimming Championship in West Bengal, India
4. 70 km (43.5 miles): Vuelta a nado Isla de Ibiza in Ibiza, Spain (5-day stage swim)
5. 60 km (37.2 miles): Open Water Swimming Marathon Kalamata in the Messiniakos Gulf in South Peloponnesus, Greece
6. 57 km (35.4 miles): Maratón Acuático Rio Coronda in Argentina
7. 45.8 km (28.5 miles): Manhattan Island Marathon Swim in New York, USA
8. 42 km (26 miles): END-WET in North Dakota, USA
9. 40.2 km (25 miles): In Search of Memphre in Vermont, USA
10. 38.6 km (24 miles): Tampa Bay Marathon Swim in Florida, USA
11. 36 km (22.3 miles): Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli in Italy
12. 35 km (21.7 miles): Salish Sea Swim in Vancouver, Canada
13. 34 km (21.2 miles): Traversée Internationale du lac Memphrémagog in Quebec, Canada
14. 33.7 km (21 miles): British Long Distance Swimming Association Two-way Windermere in Windermere, England
15. 33.7 km (21 miles): British Long Distance Swimming Association in Loch Lomond in Scotland
16. 32.2 km (19.9 miles): International Bangla Marathon Swim in Bay of Bengal, Bangladesh
17. 32 km (19.8 miles): Traversée Internationale du lac St-Jean in Quebec, Canada
18. 31.8 km (19.8 miles): 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - Stage 5 in New York, USA
19. 31.8 km (19.8 miles): 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - Stage 2 in New York, USA
20. 30.83 km (19.15 miles): Ultramarató de l'Ebre 30830 Swim Marathon in Amposta, Catalonia, Spain
21. 30.5 km (19 miles): All India Sea Swimming Competition in India
22. 30 km (18.6 miles): Ohrid Lake Swimming Marathon in Macedonia
23. 30 km (18.6 miles): Open Water Swimming Marathon Kalamata in the Messiniakos Gulf in South Peloponnesus, Greece
24. 29.4 km (18.3 miles): 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - Stage 1 in New York, USA
25. 29.1 km (18.1 miles: 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - Stage 7 in New York, USA
26. 28.1 km (17.5 miles): Ederle Swim from New York to New Jersey, USA
27. 28 km (17.3 miles): Palmy Manly Swim from North Palm Beach in Sydney to Manly’s Shelly Beach in Australia
28. 27.3 km (17 miles): Rose Pitonof Swim in New York, USA
29. 27 km (16.7 miles): La Batalla De Rande A Nado in San Simon, Spain
30. 26.5 km (16.4 miles): International Self-Transcendence Marathon in Lake Zurich, Switzerland
31. 26 km (16.1 miles): International Swimming Marathon of Toroneos Gulf in Nikiti, Greece
32. 25.2 km (15.7 miles): 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - Stage 6 in New York, USA
33. 25 km (15.5 miles): U.S. Masters Swimming 25K National Championships
34. 25 km (15.5 miles): Cruce del Puerto Rosario in Rosario, Argentina
35. 25 km (15.5 miles): St. Vincent's Foundation Swim Across the Sound from Connecticut to New York, USA
36. 25 km (15.5 miles): Villa Urquiza – Paraná in Paraná, Argentina
37. 25 km (15.5 miles): FINA World Swimming Championships 25 km
38. 25 km (15.5 miles): LEN European Championships 25 km
39. 25 km (15.5 miles): Pensacola Bridge Swim in Florida, USA
40. 24.4 km (15.2 miles): 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - Stage 4 in New York, USA
41. 24 km (14.9 miles): St. Petersburg to Kotlin Island in Russia
42. 22 km (13.6 miles): Ijseelmeerzwemmarathon in the Netherlands
43. 21.2 km (13.2 miles): 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - Stage 3 in New York, USA
44. 21 km (13 miles): International Marathon Swimming Beltquerung from Denmark to Germany
45. 21 km (13 miles): Travesia En Aguas Abiertas Por la Ruta de Olaya in Lima, Peru
46. 21 km (13 miles): Vidösternsimmet in Vidöstern, Sweden
47. 20.2 km (12.6 miles): Distance Swim Challenge in California, USA
48. 20.1 km (12.5 miles): Swim Around Key West in Florida, USA
49. 20.1 km (12.5 miles): FKCC Swim Around Key West in Florida, USA
50. 20 km (miles): Lake Argyle Swim in Lake Argyle in Western Australia
51. 19.7 km (12.2 miles): Rottnest Channel Swim (Rotto Solo) in Perth, Australia
52. 19.3 km (12 miles): Swim Around Charleston, South Carolina, USA
53. 19.3 km (12 miles): That Dam Swim in Alabama, USA
54. 19 km (11.8 miles): Medunarodni Plivački Maraton (Jarak-Šabac Marathon Swim) in Serbia
55. 18.8 km (11.7 miles): RiverFest Endurance Swim in Oregon, USA
56. 18.5 km (11.2 miles): BCT Gdynia Marathon in Gdynia, Poland
57. 18 km (11.1 miles): Fiji Swims in Fiji
58. 17.7 km (11 miles): Portland Bridge Swim in Oregon, U.S.A.
59. 17 km (10.5 miles): ILDSA & Swim Ireland National 17k Championships in Lough Erne, Ireland
60. 17 km (10.5 miles): British Long Distance Swimming Association in Windermere, England
61. 16.2 km (10 miles): La Jolla Cove Swim Club 10-miler in La Jolla, California, USA
62. 16.2 km (10 miles): Kingdom Swim in Lake Memphremagog, Vermont, USA
63. 16.2 km (10 miles): Deer Creek Open Water Marathon Swim in Charleston, Utah, USA
64. 16.2 km (10 miles): U.S. Masters Swimming 9+ mile National Championships in Minnesota, USA
65. 16.2 km (10 miles): Swim The Suck in Tennessee River Gorge, Tennessee, USA
66. 16.1 km (10 miles): International Bangla Marathon Swim in Bay of Bengal, Bangladesh
67. 16 km (9.9 miles): Faros Marathon Swim in Croatia
68. 16 km (9.9 miles): Lake Trichonida Crossing in Greece
69. 16 km (9.9 miles): Swimming Peace Marathon from Greece to Turkey
70. 15 km (9.3 miles): Irish Long Distance Swimming Association Challenge Swim Lough Sheelin in Cavan, Ireland
71. 15 km (9.3 miles): Távúszást rendezünk Paks-Kalocsa from Paks to Kalocsa in Bács-Kiskun, Hungary
72. 14.1 km (8.76 miles): Henley Swim’s Bridge to Bridge Swim downstream in the Henley-on-Thames, England
73. 13.1 km (8.2 miles): Pennock Island Challenge in Alaska, USA
74. 13 km (8.12 miles): Great Salt Lake Marathon Swim in Utah, USA
75. 12.87 km (8 miles): Swim for Freedom in Wisconsin, USA
76. 12.87 km (8 miles): Boston Light Swim in Massachusetts, USA
77. 12.87 km (8 miles): YMCA & MVP Annual Lake Swim in Vermont, USA
78. 11.2 km (7 miles): Bear Lake Open Water Swim in Utah, USA
79. 10.2 km (6.3 miles): Little Red Lighthouse Swim in New York, USA
80. 10 km (6.2 miles): San Francisco Bay 10K Bridge to Bridge Swim in San Francisco Bay, California
81. 10 km (6.2 miles): Swim Across America Long Beach in Marine Stadium in California, USA
82. 10 km (6.2 miles): Nike Swim Miami in Miami, Florida
83. 10 km (6.2 miles): Diamond Lake Open Water Challenge in Minnesota
84. 10 km (6.2 miles): Pensacola Three-Mile Bridge Swim in Pensacola, Florida
85. 10 km (6.2 miles): USA Swimming Open Water Swimming Championships in Ft. Myers, Florida
86. 10 km (6.2 miles): Lake Del Valle Open Water Swim in Lake Del Valle, California
87. 10 km (6.2 miles): Fire Island Ocean Swims in New York
88. 10 km (6.2 miles): Sound to Cove Open Water Swim in New York
89. 10 km (6.2 miles): Change Your Latitude in Alaska
90. 10 km (6.2 miles): Swim to the Moon in New York
91. 10 km (6.2 miles): Horsetooth Open Water Swim in Horsetooth Reservoir, Colorado
92. 10 km (6.2 miles): Lake George Open Water Swim in Lake George, New York
93. 10 km (6.2 miles): CAST Classic in Idaho
94. 10 km (6.2 miles): Coney Island Aquarium Triple Dip Swim in Coney Island, New York
95. 10 km (6.2 miles): Flat River Reservoir Champions Challenge in Rhode Island
96. 10 km (6.2 miles): Escape From Skidaway from Georgia
97. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Santos, Brazil
98. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Patagones-Viedma, Argentina
99. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Eliat, Israel
100. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Cancun, Mexico
101. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in lac St-Jean, Roberval, Canada
102. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Lac Mégantic, Quebec, Canada
103. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Hong Kong
104. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Shantou, China
105. 10 km (6.2 miles): Bale of Tortugas in Lake Conroe, Texas
106. 10 km (6.2 miles): King of the Rivers in Amsterdam, Netherlands
Copyright © 2012 by World Open Water Swimming Association
A Thank You Gift from WOWSA
|WOWSA is celebrating the|
1-Year Anniversary of the monthly Open Water Swimming Magazine
by giving you a free copy of the anniversary issue.
Open Water Swimming Magazine Anniversary Issue
File Size: 13MB
Download the file to your computer, and then right-click to extract the magazine which is inside the zip folder. The magazine is in PDF format.
CLICK HERE to download your free copy now.
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.