To educate, entertain, and enthuse all those who venture beyond the shoreline. Over 10,300 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics, exploits and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors.
Saturday, August 25, 2012
Germany Sweep Of The Faros Maratón
And no one caught him as he completed the 16 km race in 3 hours 12 minutes followed by German teammate Christian Reichert and two-time Russian Olympian Vladimir Dyatchin.
Another Olympian Andrea Maurer of Germany, off of her fifth place finish in London, won the women's division for the second year in a row.
After 37 editions, the Croatian hosts really know how to host a grand marathon swim. Their hospitality and experience are being recognized by the sport as the association is being inducted in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame as an Honour Organisation this year in Long Beach.
Faros Maratón is organized by the Croatian Long Distance Swimming Federation and developed over the last 3 decades from a small provincial marathon swim into a world-class event. Over 1,100 athletes from 42 countries have taken part in this international celebration. Previously known as the Yugoslav International Long Distance Swimming Championship, the organisation continued to host their event despite war conditions over the years.
The Faros Maratón will be honored on September 22nd and will enter the pantheon of other world-renowned race organisations like the Irish Long Distance Swimming Association, Traversée Internationale du lac St.-Jean, British Long Distance Swimming Association, Catalina Channel Swimming Federation, Channel Swimming Association, and Fédération Internationale de Natation Amateur (FINA).
To register and participate in the 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference in Long Beach, visit here.
1. THOMAS LURZ GERMANY 3:12:07
2. CHRISTIAN REICHERT GERMANY 3:12:08
3. VLADIMIR DYATCHIN RUSSIA 3:12:25
4. DAMIAN BLAUM ARGENTINA 3:14:28
5. EVGENIJ POP ACEV MACEDONIA 3:15:48
6. CODIE GRIMSEY AUSTRALIA 3:17:44
7. DUJE MILAN CROATIA 3:17:45
8. ROKO ČOPAC CROATIA 3:17:47
9. MARIN MILAN CROATIA 3:17:50
10. TSVETAN YORDANOV BULGARIA 3:18:33
11. JAN WILLEM VAN DER GRAAFF NETHERLANDS 3:20:06
12. TOMISLAV SOLDO CROATIA 3:21:22
13. DEJAN MLADENOVSKI MACEDONIA 3:34:11
14. DRAŽEN ADŽIĆ CROATIA 3:51:22
15. DANIJEL ČITAR CROATIA 3:53:11
16. ATTILA MANYOKI HUNGARY 4:22:03
DNF ANES CIPURKOVIĆ BOSNIA & HERZ.
DNF MAURO SEBASTIANO NAPPA ITALY
1. ANGELA MAURER GERMANY 3:17:45
2. ANNA UVAROVA RUSSIA 3:17:50
3. ALEXANDRA SOKOLOVA RUSSIA 3:18:17
4. ESTHER NUNEZ MORERA SPAIN 3:18:41
5. JOHANNA GERSTBAUER AUSTRIA 3:31:48
6. EVELIEN SOHL NETHERLANDS 3:34:07
7. ANJA TRIŠIĆ CROATIA 3:34:31
8. DINA LEVAČIĆ CROATIA 3:36:14
9. ALYSHIA MCCRACKEN SCOTLAND 3:37:39
10. VERONIKA MILERSKA CZECH REP. 3:45:02
11. NIKA PERČIĆ CROATIA 3:59:27
12. IRENE VAN DER LAAN NETHERLANDS 4:05:35
13. MARIANA MELLO BRAZIL 4:26:45
14. BOJANA DEDIĆ SERBIA 4:48:02
15. KATARINA VERKIC AUSTRALIA 4:58:28
Copyright © 2012 by Open Water Source
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.