To educate, entertain, and enthuse those who venture beyond the shore. Over 13,067 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics, exploits and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors. Sponsored by WOWSA.org.
Monday, May 14, 2012
Michelle Vawer Swims In With The Tides And Trends
Openwaterpedia is an online reference and research tool for the open water swimming community has entries posted in English, Greek, Spanish, Italian, Hebrew, Hungarian, Russian, Portuguese, French, Dutch, Arabic and Japanese.
Any language can be inputted into Openwaterpedia, as well as photos, videos and hyperlinks.
Michelle Vawer, a Maui Channel swimmer and Sports Illustrated model, made the biggest move when she not only cracked the Top 50, but zoomed up the charts in the fastest move since leopard seals and Nile crocodiles hit the list.
Vawer is an open water swimmer and former member of the Aulea Swim Club where she was recruited by Yale University before her beauty caught the eye of the IMG Agency.
Vawer crossed the Auau Channel in 5 hours 30 minutes in 2005 as the 142nd swimmer to achieve this crossing from the islands of Lanai to Maui.
1. Openwaterpedia (50,729 views)
2. Michelle Vawer (14,923 views)
3. Open Water Source (10,071 views)
4. Leopard seal (9,256 views)
5. Nile Crocodile (6,292 views)
6. Fran Crippen (5,293 views)
7. Penny Palfrey (4,172 views)
8. Lexie Kelly (3,737 views)
9. Alex Meyer (3,462 views)
10. Forrest Nelson (2,937 views)
11. Olympic 10K Marathon Swim (2,922 views)
12. Steven Munatones (2,891 views)
13. Flavio Bomio (2,878 views)
14. Jamie Patrick (2,808 views)
15. Stephen Redmond (2,724 views)
16. Jason Malick (2,707 views)
17. Darren Miller (2,614 views)
18. Jose Diaz (2,605 views)
19. International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame (2,512 views)
20. Ashley Twichell (2,504 views)
21. Nejib Belhedi (2,498 views)
22. Bruckner Chase (2,426 views)
23. Evan Morrison (2,411 views)
24. How to add a page (2,401 views)
25. Vito Bialla (2,390 views)
26. How to link a video (2,358 views)
27. Petar Stoychev (2,330 views)
28. Waikiki Beach (2,323 views)
29. Dave Barra (2,318 views)
30. Diana Nyad (2,309 views)
31. Thomas Lurz (2,016 views)
32. Abdul Latif Abou Heif (1,988 views)
33. Catalina Channel Swimming Federation (1,981 views)
34. 1400K Swim Across Tunisia (1,948 views)
35. Harry Huffaker (1,920 views)
36. The Swim It (1,857 views)
37. Peter Attia (1,845 views)
38. Richard Weinberger (1,756 views)
39. Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association (1,755 views)
40. Kim Chambers (1,746 views)
41. Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming (1,705 views)
42. Keri-Anne Payne (1,648 views)
43. Trent Grimsey (1,642 views)
44. Molokai Channel (1,612 views)
45. English Channel (1,592 views)
46. Elizabeth Fry (1,582 views)
47. Ram Barkai (1,564 views)
48. Lynne Cox (1,552 views)
49. Pilar Geijo (1,552 views)
50. Nuala Moore (1,529 views)
Copyright © 2012 by World Open Water Swimming Association
A Thank You Gift from WOWSA
|WOWSA is celebrating the|
1-Year Anniversary of the monthly Open Water Swimming Magazine
by giving you a free copy of the anniversary issue.
Open Water Swimming Magazine Anniversary Issue
File Size: 13MB
Download the file to your computer, and then right-click to extract the magazine which is inside the zip folder. The magazine is in PDF format.
CLICK HERE to download your free copy now.
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.