To educate, entertain, and enthuse all those who venture beyond the shoreline. Over 10,300 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics, exploits and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors.
Monday, January 30, 2012
The Oceans Seven With Christian Jongeneel
One-by-one, he is knocking off the channels of the Oceans Seven.
Christian is scheduled to attempt the Molokai Channel in 2012.
Christian is in the hunt to join the Oceans Seven club. With a Tsugaru Channel attempt planned for 2012, he can move one step closer to his goal.
1. Penny Palfrey (Australia): English Channel, Strait of Gibraltar, Catalina Channel, Cook Strait, Molokai Channel, Tsugaru Channel: 6 with 1 more to go (scheduled to cross the North Channel in August 2012).
2. Stephen Redmond (Ireland): English Channel, North Channel, Catalina Channel, Strait of Gibraltar: 4 with 3 more to go (remaining three channels scheduled during 2012).
2. James Pittar (Australia): English Channel, Catalina Channel, Cook Strait and Strait of Gibraltar: 4 with 3 more to go.
2. Kevin Murphy (England): English Channel, Catalina Channel, North Channel and Strait of Gibraltar: 4 with 3 more to go.
2. Forrest Nelson (USA): English Channel, Catalina Channel (both ways and two-way), Molokai Channel (both ways) and Cook Strait: 4 with 3 more more to go.
2. Bula Chowdhury Chakraborty (India): English Channel (twice), Catalina Channel, Cook Strait and Strait of Gibraltar: 4 with 3 more to go.
2. Tom Hecker (USA): English Channel, Catalina Channel, Cook Strait and Strait of Gibraltar: 4 with 3 more to go.
2. Pieter Christian Jongeneel Anderica (Spain): English Channel, Catalina Channel, Cook Strait and Strait of Gibraltar: 4 with 3 more to go (Tsugaru Channel scheduled for 2012).
3. Mike Miller (USA): Molokai Channel, English Channel and Catalina Channel: 3 with 4 more to go.
3. Darren Miller (USA): English Channel, Catalina Channel, Molokai Channel: 3 with 4 more to go (Strait of Gibraltar scheduled for May 2012 and Tsugaru Channel in July 2012, Cook Strait for March 2013, and the North Channel for August 2013).
Copyright © 2011 by Open Water Source
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.