To educate, entertain, and enthuse all those who venture beyond the shoreline. Over 9,400 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics, exploits and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors.
Sunday, May 22, 2011
A Sneak Peak At Openwaterpedia
Already there are 734 different world open water swimming records, set in lakes, oceans, channels, canals, bays and rivers, posted in the pre-launch Openwaterpedia site that will be unveiled at the 2011 Global Open Water Swimming Conference in New York City - with many more to come.
Openwaterpedia will include tens of thousands of entries - all accessible to the public - including the following:
- Words, terms, phrases and definitions used in the sport (e.g., feeding sticks)
- Locations and venues where open water swimming is done (e.g., Waikiki)
- Open water swimming events on five continents (e.g., Midmar Mile)
- Notable and professional open water swimmers (e.g., Matthew Webb)
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame inductees (e.g., Lynne Cox)
- Channel and marathon swimmers of all ages, abilities and countries.
- Equipment, tools, devices and methodologies (e.g., GPS)
- Eco-swims and charity swims (e.g., Swim Across America)
- World open water swimming records of all distances and types
- Sponsors of open water swimmers or events (e.g., Cadiz)
- Manufacturers of open water swimming equipment (e.g., blueseventy)
- Vendors to the open water swimming community (e.g., SwimTrek)
- Open water swimming and triathlon coaches
- Governing bodies (e.g., Channel Swimming Association) and their Officers
- Major anniversary dates (e.g., 1875, when English Channel was first crossed)
- Websites (e.g., www.flowersseaswim.com)
- Escort pilots and administrators
- Members of the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming
- Members of the Half Century Clubs
- Names and biographies of any open water swimmer and triathlete of any age, ability, background and country
- Open water swimming Facebook Groups, online forums and Google Groups
- Open water swimming YouTube and Vimeo video links
- and much more of interest to the global open water swimming community.
Copyright © 2011 by Open Water Source
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.