To educate, entertain, and enthuse those who venture beyond the shore. Over 15,303 articles on solo swims, pro races, relays, charity events, ice swims, eco-swims, stage swims, marathon swims, trends, products, services, personalities, coaches, governing bodies, rules, demographics, books, films, blogs, conferences, camps, clinics and happenings in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, dams, canals, channels, fjords, estuaries, lochs, coves, firths, straits, bays, and harbors. Sponsored by WOWSA.org.
2016 WOWSA AWARDS
Vote in All Four CategoriesThe World Open Water Swimming Association is pleased to present the 2016 WOWSA Award Nominees.
The nominees are presented in the following four categories:
Thursday, August 5, 2010
Ekaterina Seliverstova And Luca Ferretti Win European 5K
Among the top women, the outstanding and somewhat surprising silver- and bronze-medal performances of Kalliopi Araouzou and Marianna Lymperta were warmly welcomed by the Greek team as they knocked off numerous top-placing veterans at previous Olympics and world championships.
Of the top 10 men, 3 finishers came from Italy (#1, #2 and #4), 3 finishers came from Germany (#5, #6 an #7) and 3 finisers came from Russia (#8, #9 and #10) in an unusual finish where Luca beat his silver-medalist teammate by over 17 seconds and bronze-winning Spyridon Gianniotis of Greece by over 30 seconds. A day after going 1-2 in the 10K, it appeared that Thomas Lurz (#5) and Evgeny Drattsev (#9) did not have enough left in the tank to challenge the strong Italian team.
The final women's results:
1. SELIVERSTOVA Ekaterina (RUS), 1:02:34.7
2. ARAOUZOU Kalliopi (GRE), 1:02:37.3
3. LYMPERTA Marianna (GRE), 1:02:41.3
4. PECHANOVA Jana (CZE), 1:02:55.4
5. REICHERT Nadine (GER), 1:03:12.1
6. FRANCO Alice (ITA), 1:03:20.8
7. REQUENA Yurema (ESP), 1:03:58.6
8. GUSEVA Anna (RUS), 1:04:10.7
9. BRUNI Rachele (ITA), 1:04:12.7
10. ZUPAN Teja (SLO), 1:04:15.7
11. ASPORD Ophelie (FRA), 1:04:40.6
12. RECIO Marta (ESP), 1:04:58.0
13. RYBAROVA Silvie (CZE), 1:05:22.3
14. BULAKHOVA Maria (RUS), 1:05:54.7
15. BERBASOVA Anna (UKR), 1:07:09.0
16. MATTHEY Iris (SUI), 1:07:25.2
17. BALOGH Vanessa (HUN), 1:08:11.1
18. KOZAMERNIK Nika (SLO), 1:08:36.2
19. CSAJAGI Timea (HUN), 1:09:42.2
20. CODEVELLE Coralie (FRA), 1:09:51.1
21. PROHASZKA Agnes (HUN), 1:10:19.9
22. FARKASOVA Alexandra (SVK), 1:11:48.0
CONSIGLIO Giorgia (ITA) DSQ
The final men's results:
1. FERRETTI Luca (ITA), 58:43.4 20
2. ERCOLI Simone (ITA), 59:00.5
3. GIANNIOTIS Spyridon (GRE), 59:15.9
3. RUFFINI Simone (ITA), 59:15.9
5. LURZ Thomas (GER), 59:20.3
6. WOLFGARTEN Jan (GER) 59:23.5
7. REICHERT Christian (GER), 59:42.8
8. SEREBRENNIKOV Daniil (RUS), 59:58.6
9. DRATTSEV Evgeny (RUS), 1:00:00.0
10. PODYAKOV Artem (RUS), 1:00:00.9
11. SVOBODA Kvetoslav (CZE), 1:00:27.5
12. NOGUEIRA Diego (ESP), 1:00:46.4
13. SAUVAGE Julien (FRA), 1:00:47.7
14. FOKAIDIS Antonios (GRE), 1:01:01.4
15. VANGENEUGDEN Tom (BEL), 1:01:04.4
16. SNITKO Igor (UKR), 1:01:10.7
17. SCHWEINZER Matthias (AUT), 1:01:36.6
18.CODEVELLE Julien (FRA), 1:01:53.1
19. POSMOURNY Jan (CZE), 1:01:59.0
20. BERAUD Romain (FRA), 1:02:16.4
21. KERIN Rok (SLO), 1:02:21.2
22. RUIZ Hector (ESP), 1:02:28.5
23. UKRADYGA Kostyantyn (UKR), 1:02:43.8
24. JACHNO Lukas (CZE), 1:03:45.4
25. GASPAR Vasco (POR), 1:03:51.4
26. MITROVIC Jovan (SUI), 1:04:07.7
27. BRYAN Christopher (IRL), 1:04:40.4
28. VIEGAS Daniel (POR), 1:04:42.7
29. RIBEIRO Hugo (POR), 1:05:19.6
30. VACHAN Tomas (SVK), 1:06:24.7
31. BATHAZI Istvan (HUN), 1:06:39.9
32. MEEGAN Andrew (IRL), 1:06:58.6
33. ARIN S.Giray (TUR), 1:18:09.5
34. KARACE Burak (TUR), 1:20:43.3
GERCSAK Csaba (HUN) DNS
HERVAS Francisco Jose (ESP) DNS
Copyright © 2010 by Steven Munatones
A Thank You Gift from WOWSA
|WOWSA is celebrating the|
1-Year Anniversary of the monthly Open Water Swimming Magazine
by giving you a free copy of the anniversary issue.
Open Water Swimming Magazine Anniversary Issue
File Size: 13MB
Download the file to your computer, and then right-click to extract the magazine which is inside the zip folder. The magazine is in PDF format.
CLICK HERE to download your free copy now.
Open Water Swimming Magazine
Open Water Swimming MagazineThe Open Water Swimming Magazine is the monthly magazine entirely focused on open water swimming heroes and heroines of every age, ability, and background. Published by the World Open Water Swimming Association, the Open Water Swimming Magazine is a free benefit to WOWSA members.
WOWSA Member Benefits include 12 issues of the Open Water Swimming Magazine, the annual 276-page Open Water Swimming Almanac, a free listing in Sponsor My Swim, outstanding product discounts from FINIS, an entry in Openwaterpedia and more...
The Other Shore
The Other Shore follows world record holder and legendary swimmer Diana Nyad as she comes out of a thirty-year retirement to re-attempt an elusive dream: swimming 103 miles non-stop from Cuba to Florida without the use of a shark cage. Her past and present collide in her obsession with a feat that nobody has ever accomplished. At the edge of The Devil’s Triangle, tropical storms, sharks, venomous jellyfish, and one of the strongest ocean currents in the world, all prove to be life-threatening realities. Timothy Wheeler’s documentary brings Diana Nyad’s extraordinary adventure to life as Diana sets out to prove that will and determination are all you need to make the unimaginable possible.
2014 Open Water Swimming Almanac
An Almanac for Open Water SwimmingAn almanac is essentially a body of knowledge which is so complete that it enables people in different fields to make predictions about the future of their respective industries.
This, for example, was the purpose of the traditional farmers almanacs. It enabled farmers to determine as accurately as possible which crops to plant for the greatest harvests in a given year.
But the farmers almanac was just one example among many.
There are, of course, many different kinds of almanacs.
In fact, there is even one for open water swimming...
Preview the Open Water Swimming Almanac:
The trends are very clear.
The tide is rising for open water swimming.